Marion United Methodist Church

My photo
Marion, Kentucky, United States
Never blame a legislative body for not doing something. When they do nothing, they don't hurt anybody. When they do something is when they become dangerous............. -- Will Rogers

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reasons to Praise

One writer gives us not just food, but an entire meal, for thought:

I am thankful:
  • For the wife who says it's hot dogs tonight because she's home with me and not out with someone else.
  • For the husband who is on the sofa being a couch potato because he's home with me and not out at the bars.
  • For the teenager who's complaining about doing dishes because it means she's at home, not on the streets.
  • For the taxes I pay because it means I'm employed.
  • For the mess to clean up after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
  • For the clothes that fit a little too snugly because it means I have enough to eat.
  • For my shadow that watches me work because it means I'm out in the sunshine.
  • For a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.
  • For all the complaining I hear about the government because it means we have freedom of speech.
  • For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I'm capable of walking and I have been blessed with transportation.
  • For my huge heating bill because it means I am warm.
  • For the woman behind me in church who sings off key because it means I can hear.
  • For the pile of laundry and ironing because it means I have clothes to wear.
  • For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been capable of working hard.
  • For the alarm that goes off in the early-morning hours because it means I'm alive.
  • For the crazy people I work with because they make work interesting and fun.
  • And finally, for too much e-mail because I have friends who are thinking of me.

And if I could add one to the list: I'm thankful even when we here at church move through a time of grief together, because it means we can feel, and love, and care, and support, and know God's presence when the pain seems unbearable. WG


No comments:

Post a Comment